The winter season is a popular time of the year for home maintenance, repairs and upgrades that you might not have had time for during the busy summer months. If you have a swimming pool at you home, it is likely you are not using it when it during the winter chill.
You may already know that it is important to keep up with the maintenance for your pool; you may also want to consider the possible swimming pool upgrades that you and your pool will benefit from.
Maintenance & Upgrades-Pool Pumps and Motors
The pumps and motors that are installed for your pool are designed to function all throughout the year. Often, pool owners use the timers on the motor and pump equipment that shuts down the pool for the off season, but completely turning off your pool can cause the equipment to be repaired before it can be started back up for the spring and summer. Also, outdoor environment factors, cold outdoor temperatures and sunlight begin to take a toll on pool plumbing equipment when it is shut off; this can also lead to fluctuation of chemical balances within the equipment and the pool, which can cause the pool finish and fixtures to be affected by the poor water quality.
If your pool plumbing, including pumps and motors, is in need of repair, the winter off season is the prime time to have the service done so your pool is ready for the swimming season. There are also multiple new advancements in pool plumbing equipment upgrades available that you could also take advantage of when performing maintenance and repairs on your equipment.
Swimming Pool Covers For Winter Pool Maintenance
When performing winter pool maintenance, and if you choose to shut down your pool for the off season, a pool cover is an important accessory that can protect your investment.
- Solid Pool Cover – The best cover option that minimizes pool maintenance costs is upgrading to a solid safety cover. These types of pool covers help with the winter pool maintenance and protection including winter-proofing equipment, shutting down the motor and pump, balance the pool water, chemical pool treatment using an algaecide and using a reasonable amount of chlorine in the pool so that is remains in the water until it is time to re-open.
- Safety Pool Cover – Pool safety is top on your list, especially if you have children or pets; therefore, a pool safety cover is more than a pool upgrade – it’s an investment! Because safety covers don’t typically protect and seal up the pool, your pool maintenance during the off season will consist of more work compared to a solid cover.
Popular Swimming Pool Upgrades For The Winter
If you are ready to upgrade your pool with some of the latest pool technology, the winter time is the best time to get it done!
Pool automation upgrades are a great way to enhance your pool operation with remote controlled pool filtration settings. Other smart pool upgrades help you save big bucks in energy costs with high-efficient pool equipment and the even more popular multi-colored LED lighting options!
If your pool started to give you issues this past summer, winter is the best time to address those pesky swimming pool repairs. By having a reliable Dallas pool maintenance company on your side to inspect the problems, you can get everything taken care of during the off season so you backyard oasis will be back up and running in the spring.
From pool filtration equipment and filter part replacement to swimming pool lighting and pool crack repair, A Better Pool Service works year round to help homeowners keep their pool up to par so they can enjoy the luxuries of pool ownership. Our pool services have helped many Dallas area residents prevent costly pool repairs that typically occur from neglecting the smaller issues.
Swimming Pool Maintenance Service in Dallas, Carrollton and Surrounding Areas
With our swimming pool cleaning services, we also provide maintenance care; our expert pool technicians will not only clean your pool, but they will also check out all the equipment and parts to make sure they are operating properly. Even during the colder months of the year your pool needs necessary maintenance to keep it in working order.
- We will check and clean the pool skimmers for debris and make sure all the parts are working properly. If you do not have a pool cover during the off season, we will clean the surface in and around the pool area.
- As the temperature drops the filtration of your pool can be decreased; we can change the settings of your pool filter and pumps down to only 4 to 6 hours per day, which will also reduce your energy costs during the winter.
- During the off season it is still important to keep up with your swimming pool chemicals. While you do not need to treat your pool as frequently, it is still important to check the pool chemistry at least once a week during both the fall and winter; your pool’s finish and equipment can be damaged if the pool chemicals are imbalanced.
- Pool repairs will be addressed to you as we inspect your pool on a regular basis; this will prevent major repairs in the future and will save you hundreds to even thousands of dollars.
Pool Equipment Repair Experts
Or technicians are highly trained to perform maintenance and repair on all types and brands of pool equipment. They are skilled on all the major brands of pool equipment including Aquapure, Aqua Link, Compool, Ecosmarte, King Technology/Frog Systems, Laars Heaters, PACFAB, Plaris, Purex, Zodiac and many more. No matter how old, new, or type of equipment, our experts can handle it!
If you are having issues with any component of your swimming pool equipment, please contact us immediately at (214) 347-8016 or submit a request with our online form.
A Better Pool Service is here for all your pool repair and maintenance needs!
Are you considering installing a spa or hot tub, but aren’t sure about the repairs that go along with it? Do you currently own a hot tub and don’t know what parts need to be replaced and when?
The first clue when needing a hot tub heater repair is the water temperature. If your hot tub starts to become a cool tub, what should you look at first, besides a clean hot tub filter, good water level and an operating pump?
There are many components that contribute to an electric hot tub heater repair.
- Flow Switch is the part that tells the heater that there is enough water flow into the heating element and is safe to give power to the heater element. It has two wires that connect to the control panel and it senses the flow of water that goes through; the flow switch can get stuck by either opening when it should be closed or closing when it should be open. If you have a common issue like wire shortages or loose connections, you can isolate the flow switch from the circuit to determine if it is the source of the problem. By removing it from the circuit and bypassing the current to see if the hot tub heater operates without the flow switch, and it does work, then replace it.
- Heater Elements, which are wire filaments that are wrapped in insulating powder surrounded by a sheath, are located in the heating chamber. When properly connected, the power leads connect to the element and should heat the element which heats the hot tub water. An OHM meter is used to test the heater element for a short circuit. When testing, test on the lowest setting, then measure the resistance of the terminals; an infinite reading on the meter indicates there is no continuity to ground, which is the reading that you want; if you do not receive that, then there is likely an issue with the heater elements.
- Thermostats for hot tubs are also an important component that can cause issues. In older hot tubs or spas, the thermostat comes as a manual part. It can be easily turned on by turning a knob, but some systems require an Allen key to turn. Check the thermostat to see if it is set on the correct temperature, but be sure not to turn it above 104 degrees. If you own a newer model hot tub, it is likely that it uses electric potentiometers to control the temperature from the circuit board. If the thermostat is reading a different temp from that of the actual water temp, then it may be time to replace the thermostat or consult a professional regarding certain settings for you hot tub.
Additional Spa and Hot Tub Part Replacement
There are many working parts and components that operate a hot tub including heater unions that have to do with leaking problems, the Hi-Limit switch that works as the temperature sensors, the contactor that regulates voltage and much more. If you can narrow down the issue or broken part, you could save yourself a lot of time and headache.
If you need help with any hot tub heater repair in Dallas, contact us today!
When it comes to inspecting and maintaining pool and spa functionality, A Better Pool Service has the professional staff and experience your hot tub needs to be kept in fine working order.
Owning a swimming pool is an added luxury when enjoying the many long months of warm weather that North Texas brings throughout the year. From jumping in to cool off during the hot summer days to having all your best buddies over for a pool party, you’ll want your pool to be sparkling clean every time you jump up. With proper, professional Dallas swimming pool maintenance, your pool will be clean and inviting all year long.
Swimming Pool Cleaning in Dallas
A Better Pool Service can help you maintain your pool with regular cleaning services. There are many steps in the pool cleaning process that are required to be performed regularly to keep your pool crystal clear. We provide cleaning service on a weekly basis; we will come out to your home to take care of all your pool needs to keep it clean on a predetermined day of the week.
A Better Pool Service Weekly Pool Cleaning will provide you pool with the following:
- Skim pool surface and remove debris
- Brush and clean tile around the pool and connected spa as needed
- Check and empty automatic pool cleaner system
- Empty filter and skimmer baskets
- Vacuum or use leaf master in pool when necessary
- Inspect filter pressure; backwash filter and add Diatomaceous Earth when needed
- Inspect and adjust exterior pool equipment to ensure proper operation
- Check and make note of any leaks or other potential issues
- Test pool chemicals and adjust chemical balances when necessary (all regular chemicals included in service)
Our weekly cleaning service also includes all the normal chemicals necessary for proper sanitization and pH levels as well as alkalinity control.
Dallas Swimming Pool Maintenance Cost
For all of the pool cleaning services provided to you on a weekly basis, we have plans that start at $125.00 per month. You will never have to concern yourself with chemical storage either; our cleaning technicians will bring them at each visit.
For those who prefer to handle their own pool maintenance and cleaning, we also provide chemicals-only services. Pool chemicals are difficult to manage at times and many pool owners don’t like to keep the chemicals at their home when they have children and pets around. Therefore, our expert pool technicians will bring all the chemicals each week for your chemical service. You can get our weekly Chemicals Only service starting at only $70.00 per month.
Whether you need regular pool maintenance for your swimming pool and spa cleaning or you just need an experienced pool tech to maintain pool chemicals for you each week, you can rely on A Better Pool Service in Dallas, Carrollton and surrounding areas. Contact us to get your weekly pool maintenance service started; we will come out and provide you a free, no obligation price quote!
Yes, it’s that time of year already. The sun sets earlier, the temperature has dropped, the nights have gotten chili, and we just turned our clocks back. As a Dallas swimming pool owner, these indications of the seasons changing mean it’s time to winterize your swimming pool.
General Steps For Winterizing a Swimming Pool
- Clean out your pool – The first step to getting your pool ready for the off season involves the standard swimming pool cleaning Dallas customers already receive as part of their swimming pool maintenance. If you are handling this on you own, make sure you clean out all the leaves, twigs, bugs and dirt. You can use your pool vacuum or just fish them out with the pool net, and be sure to clean out the pump basket and skimmer as well. To save a step in the spring when you re-open your pool, clean the tile along the side of the pool as well.
- Balance the water chemistry – By balancing the chemistry levels of the water, it protects the pool from corrosion and scale build up; to do this you can pick up a water test kit at most pool supply stores and adjust the water to the recommended levels of calcium, pH, total alkalinity, and chlorination. Your Dallas-area pool cleaning and maintenance experts at A Better Pool Service can assist in this process and we can add a winterization kit as well.
- Avoid freezing of the pool water – Even in Texas the temperatures can drop below freezing for multiple days at a time, which can put your pool surface, filters, pumps and other parts at risk of damage. It is recommended that if you are closing your pool for the winter to drain it down below the skimmer mouth, but do not empty the pool water fully.
- Winterize swimming pool pump and heater – Disconnect your pool pump and filter, and make sure all of the water is drained from the pump completely. Remove the drain plugs as they may trap water inside. Then, once you have drained the pump, turn it on for just one or two seconds to push out any remaining water in the impeller. For pool heater winterizing, drain the heater to remove any standing water and blow it out with a shop vacuum or compressor. Then, completely drain the heater, remove any drain plugs, and securely store them where you can easily get to them in the spring. Do the same to remove the excess water in the pool piping to avoid freeze damage during the winter.
- Pool filter cleaning – First, remove the filter hoses, spray the cartridge filter elements and grids with filter cleaner and rinse with clean water. Open the drain on the bottom of the filter to allow any excess water in the filter to drain out, move the multiport valve in the closed “winter” position, blow any excess water out and remove the pressure gauge and securely store it until spring.
- Pool Cover – If you already have a pool safety cover or a pool winter cover, inspect it and make sure there are no rips or tears and that all of straps are still securely attached to the cover prior to putting the cover on. As long as it is still in good shape, put the pool cover on; as you may already know, this requires more than one person so you will need one or two more people to help you get the pool cover on correctly. Our Dallas pool service technicians will be glad to handle this task for you if you don’t have enough help around, just give us a call.
- Storing your pool equipment and toys – To preserve the life of your swimming pool accessories, equipment and toys, it is recommended to clean and dry them off and store them in a closed container in the garage or somewhere they will not get wet or damaged during the winter.
As you go along the steps of cleaning, draining and storing your equipment, make sure you also refer to the manufacturers guide for proper care. If you come across an issue during the pool winterizing steps or you don’t want to do this on your own, A Better Pool Service is here to help you with any and all of the steps for your Dallas swimming pool winterizing.
With the warm weather, unlike the in the northern areas, Halloween parties in Dallas allow many different and fun activities further than just trick-or-treating for candy, haunted houses and spooking the children with witches and goblins. If you are planning a Halloween party or going to a kid’s Halloween party where the pool is still open and clean, there are some cool and exciting Halloween pool party games that will add to the fun and fright. As your Dallas swimming pool cleaning and maintenance company, A Better Pool Service also recommends that your pool be well maintained prior to having pool party games this Halloween!
Check out these hit Halloween pool party games perfect your “little children” (spooky voice) this year.
- Swimming Pool Themed Costumes and Costume Contest – If you decide to base your Halloween party around the a pool party theme due the great weather we have here in Dallas, then make a contest out of it. Your little party goers can get creative and choose and create their costume based on swimming. From gold winning Olympian swimmers to diving, lifesaving movie star life guards to mermaid and merman characters from their favorite movies; there are many comic book heroes like Aqua Man that would take any swimming pool Halloween party costume contest. Even if your guests want to dress up in their regular Halloween costumes, just let them know that the pool is open for play and to bring their swimming suits so they will be ready for the other games you have planned.
- Pumpkin Diving – As a popular and thrilling Halloween pool party game, pumpkin diving is great for kids of all ages. Pick us as many pumpkins as your swimming pool can handle and place them all around your pool. You can make it simple with a small group by just making the winner the one that collects the most pumpkins. For larger groups, you can number the pumpkins with a permanent marker and separate the party into groups; each group that collects their numbered pumpkins first is the group that wins! No matter how you plan the game, pumpkin diving will quickly become an exciting event at your Halloween pool party.
- Halloween Pool Hunt – Similar to the traditional Easter egg hunt, place colored eggs stuffed with small prizes scattered around your pool and let the kids go Halloween egg hunting. Another way to add some spook to your Halloween pool party games is to use plastic eye balls instead of eggs. The winners that collect the most eggs are the ones that win the prize of the game. However you plan it, the kids will have a blast.
If you’re throwing a Halloween party for kids this year and your Dallas swimming pool maintenance is kept up, make the most of the warm weather we have this season. Change it up this year with a Halloween pool party, and by adding some games to the mix your kid’s party will be a hit with a dash of spook this year. We also have some great ideas for Halloween swimming pool decorations!
Halloween is just a few days away, and if you are planning a party, there are so many ideas for your Dallas Halloween party that you can use for your swimming pool!
In Texas, the weather stays warm enough through October, so there is a good chance you may still have your pool open, and there are some fun ways you can up-do your pool for Halloween. As you plan and gather your Halloween decorations, check out these awesome, spooky Halloween swimming pool decorations and ideas.
- Halloween Party Pool Dye – Swimming pool dye comes in a lot of great colors, and it’s a fun way to get your party guests in the Halloween spirit! Top color ideas for Halloween consist of bloody red and goblin green. Not to worry, party swimming pool dye is non-toxic and it won’t stain your pool; also, after about a week the dye will filter out and your pool will be back to its beautifully maintained color.
- Bubbling Pool Water – By adding a little bit of laundry soap to your swimming pool and turning on the pool lights, spikes of bubbles will be at the surface of your pool, which will create a foaming swimming pool effect.
- Halloween Candles – Illuminate the entire pool patio with as many short, tall and wide candles to create a spooky ambiance to your backyard.
- Floating Pumpkin Heads – Gather as many plastic pumpkins as you can, just like during the harvest, and illuminate your pool with lit up jack-o-lanterns. Since the candles might tip over or burn out inside the pumpkins, it would be best to use the mini battery powered candle lights. Get them all lit up, and send them floating around the pool; if you have your pump/filter on, they will mysteriously float around your pool during your Dallas Halloween Party.
- Dry Ice Pool – One of the most popular and simple Halloween party ideas is adding dry ice to your pool to add a frightening scare to your back patio that will impress all of your guests. If you don’t have access to dry ice, you can get a similar effect from a fog machine; either one will do the trick, or treat.
- Floating Glowing Hands – Freak out all of your guests at your Halloween party this year and add some unique lighting to your swimming pool. Simply get a box of latex or rubber gloves and put a glow stick inside each one; blow up each glove, tie them shut, and put them in the pool. They will look like floating dead hands in a deep, dark pool.
There are many tricks and ideas for spooking out your guests with fun and unique Halloween swimming pool decorations. Remember as you plan your Halloween party in Dallas to be conscious of swimming pool safety for your guests, no matter what age. Also, if you plan to use dry ice, be sure to use all safety precautions while transporting and handling it as well as making sure it is not in arms reach at your party. If you have any other cool and unique Halloween party ideas for your swimming pool in Dallas, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, and share a pic of your Halloween swimming pool decorations this year!
Throughout every industry from fashion to automotive, home appliances to home décor and landscaping to art, trends are continually changing and updating as new ideas are implemented and technology is enhanced. Even in the pool industry, there are popular swimming pool upgrades in the Dallas area that are more popular than others. For 2014, the top 3 swimming pool upgrades in Dallas Texas and throughout the majority of the country consist of swimming pool lighting, salt water chlorinators and security covers.
Swimming Pool Lighting Upgrade
As the technology of lighting, specifically LED lighting, continues to be enhanced in many industries like automotive and residential, it has now trickled down to the swimming pool industry. LED lighting is much more efficient that traditional incandescent bulb or even fluorescent bulb lighting; it costs significantly less in energy costs to operate and the bulbs last significantly longer which reduces your pool maintenance costs when having to replace them. If you already have lighting in your pool, you understand how unique it looks to have your pool light up at night. When pool owners compare the cost of upgrading their pool lighting to other pool upgrades to enhance their swimming pool, LED pool lighting offers the best bang for their buck. With a Dallas swimming pool upgrade to LED lighting from A better Pool Service, we can update your lights with LED bulbs that allow you to change the light colors with a remote control. The lights that we upgrade your pool with have a life expectancy of approximately 10,000 hours, which would last well over 10 years before they would need to be replaced.
Salt Water Chlorination Upgrade
Many pool owners have begun to discover the beauty of converting their traditional chlorine pool to salt water chlorination because it provides exceptional water quality without the strong odor. While it is still a chlorine pool, the machine upgrade simply converts salt into chlorine in a way that the harsh chemical smell and eye irritation associated with chlorine no longer exist. The additional advantage of upgrading your pool to salt water is the much lower maintenance it requires; maintaining chlorine levels in your pool is achieved by simply adding four to eight bags of granular salt directly into the pool each season. The salt is available for purchase at most retail stores that sell pool chemicals; the salt is typically sold in 40 pound bags and is about $10 to $15 per bag. With your existing Dallas swimming pool service from A better Pool Service, our experts will still test and monitor your chemicals regularly to ensure your pool is chemically balanced and safe for use.
Pool Security Cover Upgrade
Swimming pool safety is very important and should be top priority as a pool owner, especially if you have young children around. Since accidents do happen, many pool owners are choosing pool security covers as their top swimming pool upgrades in Dallas. Pool security covers are designed to protect children, pets or anyone from falling into the pool when it is not in use; they also help keep debris out of the pool during the off season as well as reduce your pool maintenance greatly during the fall and winter months. Pool security covers are a smart investment for pool owners to keep their family and friends safe and reduce their pool maintenance in Dallas.
From technology to maintenance to safety, A Better Pool Service can assist you will all of your swimming pool upgrades in Dallas and the surrounding area. The best time to have your upgrades installed is now, during the fall and winter months when your pool usage is at a minimum during the off season.
When it comes to swimming pool maintenance in Dallas and surrounding areas throughout the DFW, A Better Pool Service wants to be your helping hand in every aspect of caring for your pool. As you care for your pool during the off season, it is important to choose the swimming pool upgrade accessories that are right for you, your family and your pool. For many pool owners, it can be complicated to choose the best pool cover to suit your needs; you are likely considering all of the factors such as cost, benefits, size, material, durability and safety. No matter what your concerns are regarding your Dallas swimming pool cover options, we have the information you need to make the best decision for your pool needs.
Swimming Pool Cover Benefits
When it comes to swimming pool covers, safety is one of the most common and most important concerns. Accidental drowning is too common at residential pools; it can happen to anyone of any age, especially with children or even animals. With a swimming pool cover constructed of strong, quality materials you can protect every loved one in your home. Protecting your swimming pool with a cover is always an advantage; because pool covers keep out the light and debris from nature, they help prevent algae from forming and other particles of nature dirtying up the water, which also reduces your swimming pool cleaning expenses during the off season. With energy saving tips at every turn, you can’t leave out the swimming pool cover benefit of energy saving; they conserve water, reduce chemical consumption and reduce time needed to run the cleaning filtration system.
Types of Swimming Pool Covers
While many pool covers appear to be the same or very similar, there are different types available on the market for residential pools. The main two types, pool safety cover and winter pool cover, serve similar needs but are very different for their main purpose.
- Safety Covers – Pool safety covers are made from woven mesh or solid vinyl material, which are designed to be pulled tightly across your pool (similar to a trampoline) and are secured with straps that are attached to metal anchors installed around you pool. While they do prevent leaves, grass, branches and debris from getting into your pool, a safety pool cover will keep children and pets out of the water; they are designed to safely hold thousands of pounds, which can prevent someone of any size from drowning.
- Winter Covers – Winter pool covers are designed for protection from weather. The leaves and other debris can’t fall directly into the water, but if it rains these organic materials breakdown and can slowly seep through the cover into the pool causing the water to get dirty. They do block out the sunlight which prevents the buildup of algae, but winter covers can be damaged by tree branches or heavy snow, causing a dirty and expensive clean up. Winter pool covers do cost much less than safety covers, but with the cost of having your winter pool cover removed in the spring and the labor that goes along with it, they can end up costing the same as a pool safety cover which doesn’t require the labor.
From the benefits and advantages of both main types of covers, safety and winter, it may be difficult to decide which one is best for your Dallas pool maintenance needs. Contact A Better Pool Service in Dallas so we can help you; we are here to assist you with all of your pool questions, concerns and needs.
During the swimming off season, typically from October through March, it is the perfect time to have your pool upgrades installed. Waiting until the last minute in mid to early spring could delay your pool opening and throw off your swimming party schedule. During the fall and winter when your Dallas area pool maintenance crew starts their off season service schedule, they also start working on pool upgrades for pool owners throughout the area by providing the latest and greatest in pool automation technology as well as system upgrades and updates.
Pool Automation Upgrades
With technology at our fingertips that can remotely control our cable and satellite televisions, our vehicles and vehicle maintenance and our thermostat and energy use in our homes, we should be able to remotely control our pool filtration and settings as well. Well, now you can! Whether you have a pool at your residence in Carrollton, Plano, Frisco, or anywhere in the Dallas area, A Better Pool Service can provide pool upgrades that allow you to remotely control your pool system and settings with smartphone pool automation control. If you are hosting a pool party at your home and as you are on your way back from the store, there is no worry that you forgot to turn on the new LED lights or check the chemicals; you can pull up your pool automation app right on your Apple iPhone or Android powered smartphone and turn in on and check the settings. If you chose to add a heat pump as one of your recent pool upgrades, you are not only saving nearly 70 percent in energy costs over gas heaters, but you can also turn on the heat pump remotely from your smartphone when you are away so that your swimming pool is warmed up and ready to jump in by the time you get home.
Smart Pool Upgrades in Dallas
As life gets busier and busier, and more and more expensive, we are all continuously looking for ways to save time and money. The pool industry continues to develop more cost-efficient pool systems and equipment. From variable speed pumps that use 64 percent less electricity than single speed pumps and can keep your pool cleaner than ever before to robotic cleaners that are two times more effective and four times more reliable than older systems to heat pumps that use 68 percent less energy than gas to LED lighting that lasts 10 times longer and saves 86 percent in electricity than old bulbs, as a proud pool owner upgrading your pool in Dallas with the latest technology is a smart way to save time and money. As you consider all the time and cost savings, you shouldn’t be asking yourself why, but you should ask yourself when. The time is now! While the temperature drops and you start getting your pool ready for the off season, have your Dallas pool upgrade experts come out and provide you with all the pool upgrades and options available. All the smart pool upgrades available will not only save you thousands in energy costs, but each one will save you time, especially if you choose the smartphone pool automation upgrades. Get all of your questions answered and free swimming pool upgrades quote today from A Better Pool Service!